To learn how to write SEO copy, you must first have an understanding of how the Internet and search engines in particular, work. The Internet, of course, is a collection of websites, blogs, social platforms and other collectives. The web is driven by links: inbound or backlinks, outbound links, reciprocal links, et cetera. As sites are shared, search engines catalog those links.
Likewise, search engines use proprietary algorithms to establish a ranking order based on not only a sites links, but its content. And when it comes to search rank, content is king. That’s why learning how to write SEO copy is important. When a person knows how to write SEO copy, their content has a distinct advantage in ranking.
Introduction on How to Write SEO Copy
The first thing in learning how to write SEO copy is to know who you are writing for. Believe it or not, writing for search engine optimization is more about writing for people than machines. It’s the first rule of thumb that both Matt Cutts of Google and Duane Forrester of Bing give when asked how to write SEO copy. That means no keyword stuffing. SEO text should be and appear natural. When writing SEO articles, the best practice is to think in terms of delivering to the audience what the title and/or link promised. It’s also part of blogging basics, when link building.
SEO Content Writing
While the essentials of how to write SEO copy are not difficult to implement, they do have a learning curve. With a little practice, anyone who wants to learn how to write SEO copy can do so. Here are the basics of SEO content writing in a few easy-to-follow steps:
- Start with keyword research. Find the keywords which need to be targeted.
- Use those keywords to find LSI phrasing or latent semantic indexing. LSI keywords are variations of your target keywords. So, the SEO content keyword dog training is also training dogs, dog commands, and canine training.
- Write a title containing your target keyword(s).
- Begin your SEO article with your target keyword.
- Use your target keyword throughout the content, but don’t go above 2- to 3-percent.
- Sprinkle your LSI keywords through the copy just one to two times total.
- Write your copy using proper heading tags.
Be sure to proofread your content before publishing it–make sure you find and correct spelling and grammatical errors. And that’s it! You now know how to write SEO copy.