October 23, 2021
Google search ad revenue
News / SEM

Google Search Ad Revenue 77.8% of US Market Share

Google search ad revenue continues to dominate its competition in the United States, earning 77.8 percent of $36.7 billion, with Amazon and rising…

This year alone, Google is forecast to take 77.8 percent of search ad revenue in the United States, estimated to rise to 80 percent by next year. The remaining 20 percent will go to competitors Microsoft, Yahoo, Yelp, Amazon, Ask, and AOL, according to a report by eMarketer.

Google Search Ad Revenue 77.8% of $36.7 Billion in the US

The dominance is due to mobile search, which continues to surpass desktop, as on-the-go devices and voice search become more widespread. In May of last year, Google stated voice search were 20 percent of all mobile queries and that number is still inching up. 

emarketer-search-ad-share-2017
Credit: eMarketer

“Google’s dominance in search, especially mobile search, is largely coming from the growing tendency of consumers to turn to their smartphones to look up everything from the details of a product to directions. Google and mobile search as a whole will continue to benefit from this behavioral shift, eMarketer forecasting analyst Monica Peart, explains.

Search ad spending is currently expected to increase by 24 percent over the next three years in the United States, rising from 36.7 billion in 2017 to $45.63 billion in 2019. This year, Microsoft is forecast to grow from $2.79 billion to $3.02 billion over the same period. However, its market share is expected to fall slightly from 7.6 percent to 6.6 percent.

Yelp will earn $730 million this year, estimated to rise to about $1 billion in 2019. Though, it too, will experience a market share shrink from 6.9 percent to 5.8 percent over the same three years. Amazon will rise from $370 million this year to approximately $600 in 2019. It’s market share is estimated to grow from 1.9 percent last year to 2.2 percent in 2019.

Ask and AOL are both forecasted to stay flat, while Yahoo will grow from 1 percent to 2 percent market share in 2019.

Thanks for taking a few moments of your time to read this; if you like this information, please share it with your friends!