A recent poll conducted in the United States shows that many Americans remain unaware of the corporate relationships between the largest tech companies…
Technology publication The Verge has released the results of a December survey of 1,123 American consumers. It asked a number of questions and shows that many people simply don’t know which of the largest social media and search companies own others.
Survey Reveals How Many American Consumers Know Facebook Owns Instagram
According to the national study, there’s a good percentage of Americans who aren’t aware of the enterprise partnerships between Google and YouTube, Facebook and Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp, and Amazon and Twitch.
The survey reveals just how many American consumers know which big tech companies own other rather large tech organizations:
- 47 percent of respondents know Google owns YouTube
- 38 percent of respondents know Facebook owns Instagram
- 29 percent of respondents know Facebook owns WhatsApp
- 12 percent of respondents know Amazon owns Twitch
Although no majority of people know which companies own others, a demonstrable majority are concerned about the power these tech corporations wield:
- 56 percent said the government should break up tech companies if they control too much of the economy
- 72 percent said that Facebook has too much power
- 51 percent said Google and YouTube should be split into separate companies
The full survey results are available at The Verge.